Re: gEDA-user: gsch2pcb to pcb error

     On May 31, 2010, at 11:30 AM, Mike Bushroe wrote:
     > 2) I found that several IC have no power. I know that John Doty
     does
     >   not like to have his schematics cluttered up with surperfluous
     Vcc and
     >   Gnd connections.
     No, I (and others) tend to use separate power symbols, like:
     [1]http://www.gedasymbols.org/user/kai_martin_knaak/symbols/digital/
     74_pwr.sym
     Thank you Kai-Martin!

   And Thank You, John. I had not seen or heard of that one before, and it
   would go great on the separate power and bypass cap page to link a
   specific capacitor with a specific IC. Now I wish that I had
   equivalents for all the others that don't have by[qass caps inherently
   in their schematic (voltage regulators, MAX232s, etc).

     > But at the other extreme, I just discovered that
     >   7404-1.fp has implicit connections to Vcc and Gnd nets in
     non-printing
     >   attributes, but the identical looking 7404-4.fp does not.
     I believe you are confusing pcb footprints with gschem symbols. They
     are very different things.

   Yes, my bad. i was writing quickly and imprecisely.  It was exactly the
   SYMBOL that I was talking about, not the footprint.

     > Is there some
     >   way to indicate which symbols are powerless and which have
     non-printing
     >   power connections built in?
     From command line:
     grep net= `locate name-of-symbol.sym`
     From gschem:
     1. Select the symbol.
     2. Hierarchy>Down Symbol
     3. Edit>Show/Hide Inv Text
     4. Look for net= attributes.
     > This is especially important in quads and
     >   hex parts that have many slots. And is there a way to change the
     symbol
     >   used without deleting the instance and re-entering all the data
     by
     >   hand?
     The .sch file is text, so a global change of of the symbol name does
     the trick.
     > I don't gattrib allows changing the actuacl symbol file used,
     >   just a few of the attributes.
     These problems are why I recommend making project-specific copies of
     symbols rather than using the library symbols as-is.

   I had also done some gedit work on the file, and created an error I
   could not find to undo, so I stopped using direct editing on the .sch
   files. Perhaps on the next project, when I am not as far behind a hard
   schedule as I am now for the  Underwater Robotics Competition.
   Mike