Re: gEDA-user: Question about creating footprints under PCB

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 05:56:21 -0800, Stephen Meier
<smeier@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Actually there may be a
> use for that technology. I need to look into how the silk screen is
> applied but potentially we could use it to create high resolution fonts
> and logos.

To some extent, the silkscreen resolution is going to depend on your
board vendor.  After all, you might see minimum stroke widths called
out in their capabilities list, but they usually don't guarantee those
sizes. A 10-mil wide line might be wider, depending on how well the
screen is applied to the board.

You would probably have better luck reproducing hi-res artwork on the
copper and soldermask layers (although I have no idea how much effort
that would take in PCB).

I'm kind of curious to see what a board vendor would say if you had a
half-tone logo like what DJ posted, though :-)

--
- Charles Lepple