Re: gEDA-user: New beta version of gEDA Suite CD up -- please test!

> I just tried installing the gEDA/gaf Suite CD (i.e., geda-
> install-20050325.iso) on my Fedora Core 3 installation and it fails
> building ngspice.
>
> Checking config.log for ngspice, I see that there are multiple undefined
> references. Also, libncurses, libreadline, and libgc libraries were
> configured (I have libgc installed from a previous install of TclSpice).

The install CD configures with readline enabled.  Libgc is the garbage
collection library, which you apparently have on your system.  It is
autosensed by ngspice's configure script.

> Uninstalling the latest version (version 6.4) of the Boehm-Demers-Weiser
> conservative garbage collector (i.e., libgc) resolves this issue and the
> build is successful.

Interesting report!  Thank you!

Just to make it clear -- you are saying that ngspice's configure
script found that you had the Boehm-Weiser Conservative Garbage
Collector installed on your system and configured it in.  Then,
ngspice died during "make".  You fixed the problem by removing the
garbage collection library libgc from your library of .sos.  Correct?

I have seen other cases where the presence of a garbage collection
library causes ngspice compilation to fail.

If this is the case, all I need to do is get rid of checking for the
GC library, or just force no garbage collector detection at configure
time.  I will try to do that for the final release (coming any day
now. . .)

> Will this be a problem with installation of TclSpice v0.2.17 - June 23,
> 2004, which recommends installing the garbage collector?

IIRC, the garbage collector is optional.  Therefore, getting rid of it
shouldn't cause a problem.  The only problem might arise when you run
tclspice for a long time on a large design, and it uses up all your
memory during a calculation.  You'll just have to see if this
happens.

Thanks again for the report!

Stuart