Re: gEDA-user: routing questions

On Wed, 08 Mar 2006 20:23:47 +0100
kmk <kmk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I noticed another routing issue: If I try to draw beyond the extends of
> the screen, the pcb starts panning to get the point of drawing to the
> visible area again. This feature is would be very useful, if the panning
> wouldn't be so slow. There is a frenzy of redraw events but each redraw
> is very close to the last. Something related happens, if I try to pan by
> clicking above or below the scroll bar, the viewing window shifts only
> by a tiny amount. If I zoom way in like 15 mil covers half of the
> screen, a click roughly corresponds to one pixel of panning. If I unzoom
> to the whole board, it needs two to three clicks to move the view by one
> pixel.
> Is there a configuration parameter that deals with the panning speed?

You get better results in the scroll bar areas if you use a mouse scroll
wheel.  You can also middle click to get large jumps.

As for the auto pan, it's strange because it seems to work at a reasonable
speed for me.  It's not configurable in the gtk Sourceforge CVS but I expect
it will be in the gtk HID version.

Also, (it's a bit awkward) but if you want to change Settings->Enable
all direction lines while drawing a line, exit the window to the left and
if you continue out the auto pan will stop so you can carefully :) go
up and operate the menus.  However, there's a bug where the checked state
of the all direction lines option in the menu can get out of sync.

This should work better in the HID version where the auto pan will
configurably enabled/disabled as you move out of the window by
holding down any modifer key.