Re: gEDA-user: Another autorouter bug

Vanessa Dannenberg wrote:

I hope I'm not sending too many of these here versus the bug tracker... This one might be bug tracker material actually, but here goes...

If the board has an 'outline' or 'route' layer, the autorouter should avoid placing 'traces' on this layer.

Normally you'd just turn off layers you don't want to autoroute on, but if you do that with the outline layer, and the board is not rectangular or perhaps doesn't fill all of the space allotted to it, the autorouter may take a few liberties and route outside your desired shape/dimensions.

Turning off the layer will stop it from routing on the layer, and will otherwise have no other effects.
To do this properly, you should use polygons to fill all of the area outside of the router boundry on the 'outline' layer, then copy these (copper) polygons onto all of the routing layers - that will effectively make them keep-out areas. It's not technically necessary to ever remove the external poly fill because that part of the board is chopped off anyway.

Of course all of this is a cumbersome (but effective) way to get what you want. I wouldn't call it a bug, but a lack of features - the outline is really just a temporary ugly hack rather than a properly implemented feature at the moment.

h.