Re: gEDA-user: High speed decoupling

On Sat, 2006-03-11 at 15:05 +0100, kmk wrote:
> David Hart wrote:
>
> > "Managing Noise and Ground in Precision Analog System Applications"
> > on-line webinar at:
> > http://w.on24.com/r.htm?e=19853&s=1&k=A8EB366553A7E55131C3E0B733E2654E
>
> This requires registration with full information including the telephone
> number. It needs either the "Real Player" or the "Windows Media Player"
>  Not exactly friendly to my Linux system. Anyway, I installed the helix
> driver (v1.0.6.3) and successfully received the front page of the
> presentation. But then an error message pops up:
> /----------
> | Bad Transport
> | (rtsp://cdo.earthcache.net/ssvc005194.media.globix.net/media/news/
> | corporatevideo/events/19853/1_rmmulti.rm)
> \----------
>
> :-|
>
> There is an online utility on the event.on-24 site that "Tests Your
> System". Result:
>
> /------------
> | Operating System Failed
> |    	We have detected that your operating system does not
> |	meet the optimal webcast specifications for listening to and/or
> |	viewing webcasts.
> \------------
> ---> Not exactly friendly to my system...

Sorry about that. I should have remembered that you need to install the
"User Agent Switcher" for Firefox. Then, just before you connect to the
site, in Firefox select:
  Tools
    User Agent Switcher
      Internet Explorer 6 (Windows XP)

This will make Firefox appear as if you are actually using Internet
Explorer (eeeeekkk!!!).

Then, you should be able to subscribe, and the site will accept your
configuration.

I was particularly impressed in this webinar, and the subject of thermal
noise generated by resistors in an analog circuit. I'd forgotten that
resistors with higher values contribute more thermal noise. So if you
have a voltage divider and are just depending on a correct ratio (e.g.,
2 ea. 100K resistors) you get much more thermal noise than if you had
selected smaller values (e.g., e ea. 10K resistors).