Re: gEDA-user: single-sided boards

On Thu, Mar 5, 2009 at 5:25 AM, David SMITH <dave.smith@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 03, 2009 at 07:05:05PM +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
>> On Tue, 03 Mar 2009 16:47:28 +0000, David SMITH wrote:
>>
>> > From a user's point-of-view, it makes life much easier because they no
>> > longer have the hassle of generating Gerbers (e.g. getting the correct
>> > version of RS274, putting in the right number of decimal places,
>> > including a readme file to indicate which layer is which, etc...)
>>
>> There are no such options in the gerber export dialog of pcb.
>
> Maybe not, but it's there in other packages, though, so this info still
> needs to be communicated to the fab somehow (as it doesn't go in the
> Gerber file itself), or you rely on them making correct assumptions.
>
> Just looking at the FAQs on many of the PCB fab websites, it is clear
> that people make all types of mistakes generating Gerbers (layer order
> wrong, drill file mistakes, etc...).  Being able to put this process
> in the hands of the "professionals" who are doing it all the time just
> means that errors are likely to be eliminated.

I would rather submit boards in the gerber format that is common
to all vendors rather than rely on "professionals" to properly translate
multiple CAD formats to their process.

The PCB gerber plots work well. I have done 30 - 40 designs and
have not had an issue. I always check the gerber plots with gerbv
to confirm the plots. I set the PCB color scheme and the gerbv
color scheme to the same values for easier comparison.

I would rather do the panelization and plots myself, with scripts,
rather than rely on the vendor. It is easier for me to check the
resulting plots.

(* jcl *)

--

You can't create open hardware with closed EDA tools.

http://www.luciani.org