Re: gEDA-user: What is the current procedure and location to submit patches for PCB?

On Sat, Mar 7, 2009 at 4:17 PM, DJ Delorie <dj@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> What is the current procedure and location to submit patches for PCB?
>> Still the SourceForge Tracker?  The ones there seem a bit dated.
>
> Yes, that's still the "right" way to do it, although for minor bug
> fixes that "just apply" mailing to the list is probably more
> efficient.

Is it acceptable to use the "git send-email" command to send patches
to this mailing list?  Based on previous experiences with other open
source projects that use git, this method seems to work well.  I
haven't used the sf.net Tracker before (so take any comments with a
grain of salt...), but it seems like the policy of "all patches are
posted to a mailing list" has a few advantages over using the sf.net
Tracker:

1. Emailed patches have a wider audience and get more exposure.  I'd
imagine most people that subscribe to this mailing list don't check
the sf.net Tracker regularly.  Mailing list subscribers may have
comments on a patch, or actually try it out if they see it come
through the mailing list.

2. Its much easier for people to make specific comments to email
patches - they just respond and comment inline.  I'm not sure what the
process of critiquing on the sf.net is, but I imagine it requires
downloading a file from a website, cutting and pasting code, then
sending an email with the comments or updating the patch tag on
fs.net.

2. Some patches spur discussion which is good to capture on the mailing list.

3. Lots of other open source projects that use git the "post patches
to the mailing list" philosophy, so its more likely to be familiar to
other developers.

4. Its quicker/easier to use git "git XXX" command line tools to send
patches than to upload a file to a website.  It looks like you can
only upload 1 file to the sf.net tracker which is also frustrating for
patch series.

5. Downloading patches from sf.net seems more time consuming than
saving them from your email client or using the "git am" command on a
email mailbox.

6. Similar patch management features to the sf.net Tracker could be
gotten using the open source "patchwork" project if those features
were deemed necessary (http://patchwork.ozlabs.org)

Anyway, I just wanted to give my perspective as a new gEDA user and
clarify how I should send any future patches.

Best,
Peter