Re: gEDA-user: gschem 1.4.3 and LINGUAS="de en"

On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 21:06 +0100, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 10.03.2009, 20:05 +0000 schrieb Peter Clifton:
> > On Tue, 2009-03-10 at 20:49 +0100, Stefan Salewski wrote:
> > > Thanks -- so at least my conclusion was correct...
> > >
> > > I really wonder why this was not included in 1.4.3 released 20081231.
> >
> > Because it isn't a critical bug fix.
> >

> It was first reported Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 14:33:50 UTC

That doesn't make it critical. If you thought it _was_ critical, then
you could have responded when we were calling out for any patches which
should have got included in the 1.4.1, 1.4.2, 1.4.3 etc..

The 1.4.x stable series has been maintained very conservatively so that
only serious issues / crash bugs have been back-ported (along with a
couple of graphical fixes which stop the suite looking crappy).

Changing build systems / installed file-names could have had potential
side-effects. This fix does help people who use generic language
strings, and is generally correct, but unless we have keen people
testing these things, we can't know for sure there aren't any cases
which regress (even if they aren't really our fault).

Producing a stable series which has no regressions or serious crashing
bugs was our key objective here, not back-porting every fix from the
master branch.

Things have now moved on, and we're leading towards a 1.5.2 release (to
be followed by 1.5.3, then hopefully 1.6.0). There are no further plans
to maintain the 1.4 branch once 1.6.0 is out, and the developers don't
expect to release anything else in the 1.4.x series.

Because of that, if you find packaging bugs, we only care about them if
they are reproducible in git HEAD. (Testing from the 1.5.1 release would
be a good start). If there are any problems you find there, filing bugs
on sourceforge.net (or better yet... patches), would be appreciated.

Best regards,

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,