Re: gEDA-user: FWD: Applying for GSoC2009

sha liu wrote:

>    Hi everyone,
>
>             First, please let me do a brief introduction of myself.
>
>    I'm a graduate student majoring in Micro Electronics in Fudan
>    University, China, pursuing my Master degree. The Related work of me
>    and
>
>    other team members in the lab involves the EDA software in FPGA
>    application(something like ISE in Xilinx, but not quit comparable
>    especially in GUI).
>
>    And also I study the SEU(single-event-upset) mitigation method in
>    FPGA. Test are mostly run on our self-designed low-volume FPGA, but
>    also on other
>
>    popular commercial products.
>
>             I was drawn into here by browsing the Mentor list of GSoC
>    2008, looking for a opportunity to take part in open source
>    development to practice
>
>    and feel everything that fascinate me. And yet I found the gEDA which
>    I just found that it serve all my needs and probably might give me a
>    quick start if
>

>             1.There are more ideas than slots. What if I choose one idea
>    but finally it's cut off from final idea list?
It is more important to ask early and get a good proposal written than worry
about what project you choose -- the mentors will keep you from competing with
another GSOC student.  They will know if your choice is already being applied for
and tell you.  It is good to do something you like, and have experience that will
help you succeed at without worrying if anyone else is doing that also

>             2.There are so many suggested projects(which is definitely
>    amazing!! )here, but it's a little hard for me to take deep insight
>    into every project in just a
>
>    few days.

You need to do the filtering -- no one else can.  Choose what excites you most, and
that you can do in the short stipend supported time available.

>             3.A silly question: How likely somebody like me who have not
>    taken part into gEDA or even an on-line open-source development before
>    can pass the
>
>    proposal of the first stage of GSoC?

That's more  about quality of writing, c or c++ coding experience, and thinking
in general than about collaboration details.  The other collaborators will make the details
such as using git or the style of documentation required by a tool easy for you to do
by helping answer your questions in context.

>             4.Is there IRC channel I can idle on?

#geda
at server:       irc.seul.org

>    uh...that's just enough for now. Thanks in advance for your patience
>    of my questions and spelling or grammar mistakes
>

>    Best Regards!
>

>    Liu SHa

This is the right list to send to.

John Griessen