Re: gEDA-user: rant: pcb print from command line

I submitted a patch for PCB about a month ago and it has been reviewed
these days; is this too much delay?
Probably not, but now I read that including tests would have made the
reviewing job easier and possibly shorter.
But I didn't even know of the existence of such tests: the point is
that to the non-developers nothing is obvious; I had already posted
the code on the mailing list, but it took me several months to
discover the "submit patch" procedure.
If only there was a quick tutorial on how to do these kind of
operations I think the number of developers (or at least reviewers)
would grow substantially.
Do you lose time because people don't post links? Well, write it down
so people will know how to correctly report a bug.
Also some very basic document about the internal structure of PCB is
needed; think about what it takes for a novice to locate the code that
he needs to change; without advice he will probably desist, and that
is a potential developer lost.
No wonder there are only a handful of active developers.
I know that writing documentation is not fun and takes time, but for a
project of this complexity it is critical to attract more people, and
I think in the long run it has even a better return than coding.

Alberto