Re: gEDA-user: pcb option --layer-stack

Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:

PS: There is no description whatsoever on layer stacks in the pcb
manual.
The woefully obsolete manual?

Sure. Is there any other? ;-)

If this is again a case of lack of developer cycles, how about letting
trusted non-developers improve the manual?
Go ahead.

Ok, I'll bite.
Looks like the manual is derived from pcb/doc/pcb.texi . So I'll edit this file and and post a diff to this mailing list, right?

if you feel like working on the command line options part of the manual, there are two ideas that have been floated around. Both involve ways to keep the documentation source embedded in the code. This has worked very well for the file format (see structured comments in parse_y.y) and actions (%doc-start comments all over).

The two options discussed so far are

1) use more special comments in the source to document command line stuff. Leverage the gather-actions script. Advantages are you can get all the various options without having to build a native pcb (i.e. works for cross compiling, works for getting lesstif and gtk options from the same build). Disadvantage is I couldn't see a reasonable way to not have to type in the help text twice.

2) add an undocumented (since it will be for our internal use, grep for ben-mode in src/hid/png/png.c for an example) --help-texi option. Then you get out basically the same as --help output but in .texi format for inclusion in the manual. Advantages are if you are doing a native build (no cross compile) you can get a manual that only has your options and no others. Disadvantage is I think we'd prefer the manual to always be complete and each section would start with a note about "...this exporter/gui may not always be compiled in"

The current approach of there being no link between code (or comments within a few lines of the code) I think will always lead us to the current state of the manual being out of date for that part.

-Dan