Re: gEDA-user: Launchpad (was: rant: pcb print from command line)

On 11 March 2010 19:33, Peter TB Brett <peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 March 2010 18:13:11 Duncan Drennan wrote:
>> Is there some particular developer resistance to LaunchPad?
>
> Moving SF.net tracker items to Launchpad can be done automatically by
> requesting an import.  That isn't a problem.
>
> However, we do need a consensus that Launchpad represents a genuine
> improvement on SF.net for a majority of gEDA developers and users (I know that
> there are some developers who are keen on it).

So how do we explicitly get that consensus? Do we need a concrete
proposal to "vote" or otherwise express opinion on? Does anyone
strongly object if I try to write that?

> There are some things that
> would make moving to Launchpad a really compelling option:
>
>  - A hook for git.gpleda.org that could update a Launchpad ticket referenced
> in a commit message.

Doesn't look that difficult to do. There's an example
post-receive-email script in the git contrib area that could be used
as a template, and launchpad has an easy-to-use Python API. More
details in the proposal, I guess.

>  - Someone willing to research how best to arrange things in terms of
> Launchpad groups (we probably don't want everybody who's able to respond to
> bugs to have full administrative rights over the gEDA Launchpad project page,
> for instance).

That should be in the proposal. I have a few ideas on that.

>  - A volunteer to manage the migration process (e.g. writing patches for in-
> tree documentation and updating the wiki).

I think we should get the consensus first. If that doesn't happen, we
don't need a volunteer.

Cheers
Gareth