Re: gEDA-user: if you people want to do it then put up the *cash*

On Mar 15, 2010, at 4:50 PM, Jim wrote:
    "problem with for-pay servers is users are motivated, they help
      pay for a few months, then no more"
    "so any decisions that affect $$ need to account for probably
      Ales paying for it out of pocket"

I have absolutely no issues with removing me as a "single point of failure", however, if you people want to do it then put up the *cash*, time, and get some buy-in from all people doing the development work.

When my friends on the metalartists.org list lost the previous server
and I started a mailman server for them they donated money via paypal
to get to paid up for a year and a half after just a week.  It might
not be hard, even with this bunch to get virtual server money.
For OpenVZ on Quantact.com servers you'd need to budget $30/month
for the level of RAM needed to run mailman.  These prices might even
drop some as things progress, since some web hosters, (Network Solns), with canned web-app packages (not root accounts), now run at $11/ month.

I'm good for $20 for server support -- I expect that to go for
a years worth after asking the rest of the people that care to contribute.

So now the question is "Who else will pledge money?".

John
I have two servers at MSTransactions that seem to work pretty well. For about $100 per year you get a dedicated server. You have to maintain it yourself, no cpanel, but I installed Virtualmin on them and run multiple virtual http hosts.

Intel P3 667Mhz 	256 MB 	20 GB 	500 Gb 	10 Mbps 	1 IP 	FREE 	7.99/mo.
*Configure* <https://www.hostmds.com/client/cart.php?a=add&pid=206>

The only catch is the 10 Mbps speed, which might not be enough.

This is for mailing list support and downloads? Good heavens, if 10Mbps isn't enough, then something is horribly, horribly wrong.

            -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL