Re: gEDA-user: pcb DRC

gene glick <carzrgr8@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>> This is the board:
>>
>>  http://www.ieap.uni-kiel.de/et/people/stephan/solo/eda/erena/erena.pcb
>>
>> Any idea if it is a good idea to just ignore these violations?
>>

> Blindly ignoring violations is probably not a good idea.  Better to
> understand them first.

Well, I visually scanned the perimeter of the violating planes and did
not find any problems, OTOH, Peter did see them, he said, so I need to
look more carefully.

> I hope you don't think I am picking on you, and maybe I am mis-reading
> the design, but I think there's a bunch of stuff wrong:
>
> 1. You have silkscreen printing going right through most of your
> pads. How do you plan to solder to that?

The silk is not going to be printed, it is only for the assembly
drawing.  I gave up on silk at this density.  For a dense flight board I
once had the silk printed, but without the names, and masked by the
soldermask layer.

> 2. Many of your parts are placed *extremely* close together.
> Certainly a pick and place machine won't be able to handle it.  Hand
> placing may be difficult. I'm not sure if you'll be able to solder to
> them.

Well, yes, we will manage ...  but If I go for 0402s instead of 0603s,
the techs will complain even more.

> 3. On the signal layer, you have a big copper ring going along the
> perimeter, unconnected to anything.  That is not a good idea.  Maybe
> you intended this to be a ground guard ring?  If so, it should connect
> to ground.

It is connected.  It is the power return for the front-end, going from
one connector (power board) to the other (premap board).  So, it is
actually on ground potential, when the front end is plugged in, and
there is a resistor (R3) on this board for when it is not.

> There's more.  Have I misunderstood your layout?

Thank you very much for you review!

I need to go now, when I am back later today I will tell you what the
board is supposed to do.

--
Stephan