Re: gEDA-user: Stupid newbie question

Steve Meier wrote:
As a rule I leave snap on. Its only if I am edditting a symbol where I want some non-pin object in a preceise location that I turn snap off... And then I am ever very carefull.
I don't necessarily mind this but it's still a bit of a pain. Somebody commented that commercial products do this same thing, and it's true that SOME do, but that doesn't make it right. My mother never accepted "the other kids were doing it" as an excuse from ME, anyway. =)

I'm too much of a newbie to make a strong statement, but my gut tells me that this on-grid behavior is just nit picking. When I'm working with a dense schematic I want a very small snap grid so I can really pack in all those resistor and capacitor networks, and so I can make efficient use of the space on a page. The default grid of 100 is too granular for me. A snap grid of 50 for component placement then switching to 10 for nets would really be ideal, but it's very easy to misplace them while doing this, and heaven forbid you try to move them around! And being able to choose a grid of 1 becomes almost useless except for creating text labels - you can't wire anything up, and if you accidentally move an object nothing will save you because you'll never get it back on grid (smart move-to-grid comments suggested earlier sound like a good idea!).

Would somebody be resistant to me taking a stab at implementing a snap-to-pin the feature myself? I don't know what the heck I'm doing but if it's not crazy-hard I'll give it a go.

Regards,
Chad