Re: gEDA-user: Re: Installing in Debain. Nothing (at all) works

On Friday 04 May 2007, Stuart Brorson wrote:
> 1.  At least last year, Ubuntu was a uniquely crippled
> distro.  Yes, it's bright and shiny and has lots of buttons
> for newbies to press, but it lacks certain software
> development tools requried for the CD installer to work.  It
> also lacks the relevant include files for many packages. If
> you want to use the CD installer, make sure you have all the
> *-devel stuff installed.

You gotta be kidding.  Just because the packages installed by
default are not the ones you would choose does not make
it "uniquely crippled".  All of the important tools are there,
but some are not installed by default.  All you need to do
is "apt-get install ...." .  In this regard, it is no different
from Debian, which installs even less by default.  In my
opinion, even Debian installs too much by default.

If some other distribution loads up your disk by automatically
installing all kinds of stuff in anticipation, I consider that
to be a defect.  But I will be honest in this, and say that is
why we have several to choose from, so you can choose what you
like.