Re: gEDA-user: Re: Installing in Debain. Nothing (at all) works

There are two things to keep in mind:

1.  At least last year, Ubuntu was a uniquely crippled distro.  Yes,
it's bright and shiny and has lots of buttons for newbies to press,
but it lacks certain software development tools requried for the CD
installer to work.  It also lacks the relevant include files for many
packages. If you want to use the CD installer, make sure you have all
the *-devel stuff installed.  A list of required packages was posted
on this e-mail list just a few days ago.

2.  GEDA's tools are generally used from teh command line.  If you're
a Linux newbie, and are expecting to just push buttons and have stuff
work, then you're in for frustration and disappointment.  Please
spend some time browsing the wiki and familiarizing yourself with the
tutorials and other materials.  They talk about how to use gEDA from
the command line.

Stuart