Re: gEDA-user: gEDA in wikipedia (englisch/german)

Stefan -

On Tue, May 29, 2007 at 04:35:17PM +0200, Stefan Salewski wrote:

> There seems to be some confusion about Icarus Verilog on gEDA pages:
>
> http://geda.seul.org/tools/icarus/index.html
> Icarus Verilog is a a GPLed Verilog compiler.
>
> http://geda.seul.org/tools/index.html
> Icarus Verilog : Verilog simulation and synthesis tool
>
> I have never used Icarus Verilog -- can you please tell me:
> Is Icarus Verilog only a verilog compiler, or a simulation tool too?

Its primary usage is for simulation.  The program and its operation
is divided in two parts: first you compile the Verilog to an
intermediate "vvp" form, and then run the simulation from there.
vvp stands for verilog virtual processor, and is crudely analagous
to machine code, assembly code, or byte code.

Icarus Verilog also has limited synthesis capabilities.  While it
is getting stale (and in fact is unusable in the development branch)
and is not up to normal industry expectations, the infrastructure
is in place for future work.  That synthesizer is not widely used,
compared to simulation.

   - Larry