gEDA-user: stupid divider

As long as we're on electronic circuits instead of CAD tools a bit
today, here's a simple question.  Has anyone else had problems getting a
simple divide by two with a 74ACT74 to work?  Its a pretty darn simple
circuit.  D flip-flop, set and reset tied high (both are active low),
Qbar connected to D, clock applied to the clock.  The part is on a
protoboard with a solid ground plane.  It's heavily bypassed as close as
one can possibly get and then bypassed even more still pretty close.
The other half of the chip is also set up as a divide by 2 with its
clock input being driven by the output of the first half.

The stupid thing just doesn't seem to work.  I'm getting the same thing
out of Q as I put in on the clock.  The part has a positive clock to q
delay (as I should hope it would!), and has a negative hold time so all
told I should have a handful of nanoseconds of timing margin.  Setup
time should be a complete non-issue since my input frequency is well
below the max toggle rate of this part (by orders of magnitude).  I was
worried that perhaps I didn't have a fast enough edge on the clock
coming from my super low end square wave generator so I made a simple
schmitt trigger with some inverters in a 74ACT04 and then ran that
through a few more inverters so I should have a clean edge (at least
free of glitches) that is fast enough.  My interconnect is all very very
short.

To within the limits of my 65 MHz scope (yeah I know its not quite
enough) the applied clock looks clean.

The signal I'm trying to divide is down in the handful of kHz range and
the only reason I'm using 74ACT instead of something like 74HC is thats
what I had in the parts box in the basement.

It looks to me like somehow I'm getting a spurious clock rising edge as
part of the high to low transition.  I don't see it on the scope, but
that would explain the Q/Qbar outputs I see from the first divider.  The
second one has the same problem.  Again, my clock should be fine.  In
fact the clock is the output of the first divider.

There is nothing else on the board.  I don't have any floating inputs of
unused gates around.  I even changed the chip.

There's nothing so frustrating as when the simplest of circuits don't
behave!!!!  I keep thinking I must be doing something painfully stupid,
but I just don't see it.

Thanks
-Dan