Re: gEDA-user: Removing default title box

On Mon, 12 May 2008 15:23:47 -0400
al davis <ad151@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > *  Previously, gschem started with the viewing field zoomed
> > waaaaaay out.  Many people couldn't figure out what was going
> > on when they placed parts and saw only tiny specs on the
> > viewing field.
>
> "zoomed waaaaaay out" was the problem.  That's easy to fix.

Just to add another 2cents to the discussion. I never complained about
the titlebox, but as the discussion is open: I _really_ dislike the
initial box. Most of the time, it isn't even the size I need. And you
can't edit it because it is locked.

I'd like to suggest

1) A startup dialog whn selecting a 'new window', asking for the size of
the titlebox wanted. For those who are fans of the present block size, you
can even preselect the actual size, so only 'Enter' has to be pressed to
get it.

2) Set the zoom factor to a logical size, and center the view to the
middle of the field.

Also, I believe that a newbie would more easily and intuitively find a
zoom function than the trick selecting the entire block, finding the
unluck in the menu, etc.

Another approach would be to leave the titleblock selectable by simply
clicking, even if locked. If it then can't be moved or deleted, +that+
does give the impression of being locked and might lead the user to the
unlock option.

John