Re: gEDA-user: Removing default title box

On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 19:43 -0300, John Coppens wrote:
> On Mon, 12 May 2008 15:23:47 -0400

> Just to add another 2cents to the discussion. I never complained about
> the titlebox, but as the discussion is open: I _really_ dislike the
> initial box. Most of the time, it isn't even the size I need. And you
> can't edit it because it is locked.

For now, set gschemrc so it does suit you, or remove the offending hook
which adds it.

> I'd like to suggest
>
> 1) A startup dialog whn selecting a 'new window', asking for the size of
> the titlebox wanted. For those who are fans of the present block size, you
> can even preselect the actual size, so only 'Enter' has to be pressed to
> get it.

That has + and - points, I suspect I might find it annoying. I guess you
mean "New page" though? As I visualise your suggestion, look at GIMP's
new image dialog, perhaps with its "Template" option selecting the
different title blocks. We don't really have a page size concept (Ok, we
do, but its hard-coded, and its huge).

> 2) Set the zoom factor to a logical size, and center the view to the
> middle of the field.

> Also, I believe that a newbie would more easily and intuitively find a
> zoom function than the trick selecting the entire block, finding the
> unluck in the menu, etc.
>
> Another approach would be to leave the titleblock selectable by simply
> clicking, even if locked. If it then can't be moved or deleted, +that+
> does give the impression of being locked and might lead the user to the
> unlock option.

That would defeat the point of it being locked... that it doesn't
interfere with being able to select objects within it.

> John

Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,