Re: gEDA-user: gschem won't connect nets

At 07:39 AM 5/25/2008, you wrote:
> Maybe I am missing something.  We are talking about schematic
> capture, right?  Why would you even need to control placement of
> schematic symbol pins to 1 mil?

This is an interesting point.

The ability to turn the snap-to-grid on/off exists since there are
situations where you want to draw lines and place text using a much
finer grid than you can get with a 100x100 grid.  For example,
consider drawing triangular op-amps.  It's hard to make them look good
when the grid is turned on.

I am still using Orcad for schematic capture and they have a "grid snap on" and "grid snap off".  But the grid snap off still uses a grid that is 8 times finer than the pin grid.  The only time I turn the grid off is when I am drawing things like reistor squiggles or opamp triangles or placing fixed text that is in a tight space.  But I have never managed to put a pin off grid with this.  Orcad uses an icon on a toolbar and it is bright red when placing objects off grid.

I think Orcad will *let* you place wires and symbols off grid, but I have never needed to do this is the many years I have been using it.  Also, I think they have a pin snap that will make the connection regardless of the grid if you place a wire close to a pin... but I may be thinking of Viewlogic.

However, it is possibly true that you never need to place a *pin* with
more than 100x100 accuracy.

That is what I have found.

Therefore, I wonder if one of the
following ideas make sense:

*  Have a separate grid setting for pins and nets.   Make it 100x100,
and only set it in gschemrc (so naive users don't turn it off while in
the middle of using gschem)?

*  Make pins and nets use the current grid setting, but don't allow it
to be turned off via the gschem menu item.   (Whether you can turn it
off using a gschemrc setting is another question.)

*  Throw up a warning dialog box telling the user about the potential
problem with pins off grid every time he resets the grid spacing, or
turns the snap off.

Thoughts?

You can "force" a user to work on the grid, or you can make it hard to work off the grid, or you can throw up a warning dialog when a part, pin or net is placed off grid, or you can use an "ON AIR" indicator to make sure the user knows he is working off grid (a la Orcad).

Didn't the OP say he didn't do any work off grid, but rather he copied a bunch of stuff?  Maybe the tool has an issue where it is way "too" easy to place or copy parts off grid?

Rick

Specializing in DSP and FPGA design      URL http://www.arius.com
4 King Ave                               301-682-7772 Voice
Frederick, MD 21701-3110                 301-682-7666 FAX