Re: gEDA-user: Strange behavior with input-1.sym and output-1.sym?

John Doty wrote:
> On May 7, 2009, at 6:53 AM, Stefan Salewski wrote:
>
>> Of course it may be a bug of 1.4.0, I
>> can not test this, have only 1.4.3 available.
>
> One could make the case that the bug is in 1.4.3. A component without
> either refdes= or  graphical=1 might reasonably be considered an
> error. But the treatment of attributes in gEDA keeps changing. I wish
> there was better documentation on how attributes are actually *used*
> by gschem and gnetlist. The Symbol Creation Guide is "style manual",
> not  a language definition.
>
> The "anything goes" approach to attributes was fine when there were
> few special cases in the core code, but increasingly I'm seeing
> strange behavior that's apparently due to the core code assuming
> attribute meaning that's undocumented and/or specific to the gsch2pcb
> flow. This is not good.
>
> John Doty              Noqsi Aerospace, Ltd.
> http://www.noqsi.com/
> jpd@xxxxxxxxx

And, if it becomes part of the gschem/gsch2pcb/pcb standard that all
non-physical schematic objects require 'graphical=1', then 'graphical=1'
should be automatically part of these objects (i.e. input-1.sym,
output-1.sym), so that the user does not have to add it every time
he/she uses the symbol.

Also, I think this info about the attribute treatment of
physical/non-physical schematic elements should be added to the gsch2pcb
tutorial.

Dave