gEDA-user: translation standards (was: fritzing )

al davis wrote:

> My proposal does consider placement, which should be enough.
>
> It is essentially a netlist format.  That's the idea.

How about having a netlist format that holds footprint center, plus pad/pin centers
that are defined as center of main part of a pad and center of hole circles, and also
pad numbers?

That would make a netlist skeleton version of a footprint.

I think Brendan of the fritzing project wants the descriptive artwork lines too, though.

Those could be defined by a generic standard as vector line segments relative to a center zero
easily enough.  For centroid based drawings like pcb and RS274-X use, a line width number would be
part of it too.

But then when you get to square pads that are based on a zero length line segment what do you do?

Most 3D models used now are edge and surface based, or if 2D like postscript, edge and outline based.

Square pads suggest using outline based graphics and round suggests centroid based, so a standard would need both.
Defining outline based graphics in output to the standard format would mean any other importing to centroid based
would need to convert, and them you get into questions of "can you do it losslessly?"

John Griessen