Re: gEDA-user: good books about footprint and land patterns

> Question: Why does there have to be a license at all for symbols?

All "works" are, by default, copyright their author with all rights
reserved.  You must have *some* license, even if it's "do whatever you
want", to allow copying.

For gEDA/PCB, we prefer the GPL because the programs themselves are
GPL'd, so we can mix the program sources and library sources into a
single distribution with a single license.  Note that this license
covers redistribution, not use - and it's intended to protect the
software from abuse, and protect the recipient's right-to-use.

It doesn't really act any different than the Eagle "terms" once
they're in a design, though.