Re: gEDA-user: good books about footprint and land patterns

> Hmm, thanks, I didn't know that applied to stuff you post on the web
> into free forums.

It depends on the terms of the forums.  Some say "all copyrights
reserved by their original owners", others say "anything uploaded are
belong to us".  Either way, the original author is licensing the work
to the site, and the site's visitors, according to some terms.

For example, if I post some ASCII art to usenet, and someone else
posts a copy elsewhere, I can sue for copyright infringement (caveat
fair use laws) as I never granted a license-to-copy to anyone.

> Cadsoft considers uploads to be completely free to the public unless
> you place GPL or something in there. And of course they mention
> "Don't come to us crying and all that if it don't work".

Do they *say* that, and make you agree to that, when you upload?  If
not, they have no rights to change the copyright terms of other
people's works.  If they do, then you grant them the license they
request when you upload.

Gedasymbols, for example, specifically says:

"You, as the author, get to pick the terms under which your symbols
 are distributed and used. Note that putting them on gedasymbols.org
 implies a license for gedasymbols.org to distribute them according to
 the way web servers (and clients, search engines, etc) work."

So, you're granting a limited license to copy as needed to get the
data to the user's web browser, but no further - unless you grant
additional terms to the visitor to further copy.