Re: gEDA-user: good books about footprint and land patterns

DJ Delorie wrote:
>> Question: Why does there have to be a license at all for symbols?
>
> All "works" are, by default, copyright their author with all rights
> reserved.  You must have *some* license, even if it's "do whatever you
> want", to allow copying.

Hmm, thanks, I didn't know that applied to stuff you post on the web
into free forums.

> For gEDA/PCB, we prefer the GPL because the programs themselves are
> GPL'd, so we can mix the program sources and library sources into a
> single distribution with a single license.  Note that this license
> covers redistribution, not use - and it's intended to protect the
> software from abuse, and protect the recipient's right-to-use.
>
> It doesn't really act any different than the Eagle "terms" once
> they're in a design, though.

Cadsoft considers uploads to be completely free to the public unless you
place GPL or something in there. And of course they mention "Don't come
to us crying and all that if it don't work".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/