Re: gEDA-user: Breadboard drawings with pcb?

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 04:08:55PM -0500, John Griessen wrote:
> Josef Wolf wrote:
>
> >  - The color setting seems to affect only the GUI.  I would like to
> >    have the grey style in printouts (eps, included in latex, so it can
> >    be printed along with the description and the schematics, resulting
> >    in a small book)
>
> Maybe you could use the "image in the background" feature of pcb.

You mean the method described in http://www.delorie.com/pcb/bg-image.html?
That was also my first attempt.  But it seems to work only for the GUI, no
image on printout.

> If the grey image was
> located carefully to align with a grid you could then snap footprints
> corresponding to connected places onto the breadboard image.
>
> That would still leave all the interconnectivity of the breadboard undone
> though.
> to get a correct netlist, you would need to add that in a copper layer.

Maybe that's not as bad as it sounds.  Guess, I'll have to route the
traces manually anyway, since "footprints" on a breadboard are much
more flexible than in usual designs.  For example, a resistor can span
anything from 100mil to 1000mil in any angle :-)

>  >  - The parts of the breadboard traces which are actually used by the
>  >    circuit should be black instead of grey
>
> some black and some grey is beyond pcb's abilities at the moment -- would
> be a u-code-it project, or would just be done manually.

With the grey part being only a drawing, the routed traces on the
component side would overlap the grey drawing and give exactly the desired
effect (i think)