Re: gEDA-user: Database on symbols, footprints and other (was "Re: gattrib")

DJ Delorie wrote:
If gedasymbols is good, what's wrong with a tool to allow easier
access to a gedasymbols-like-but-more-organized database?

I've stated before, I have no problem with people figuring out ways to
pull gedasymbols content into geda's tools over the web.  IIRC there
was one such implementation already.  Also, I spec'd out a CSV format
for gedasymbols so that people could start storing database-like info
there as well as the symbols/footprints that go with it.
A very good approach IMO. The SQL "COPY" command, at least with PostgreSQL,
can use CSV files as input and output. A drawback of the COPY command (not CSV)
is, that constraints are turned off to speed the processing.
It is however easy, to circumvent this problem:
* copy into an empty database
* run queries, that test the constraints
* if all is ok, copy into the live system
* if there is trouble, the database (test query) will tell you, where the problem
 in the CSV file is, at least indirectly

I've also said before that "the database" should be some global
composite database, including multiple sources including gedasymbols.
gEDA is a community project, why shouldn't the database be too?
Sure.
One thing I want to consider here is, that too high a complexity in the design of the database may prevent the average user from fixing input errors like injecting
wrong pin-mappings. How to go about this must be well documented and
relatively easy.

Armin