Re: gEDA-user: Editing elements in PCB is too complicated

On Sunday 13 November 2005 10:27 pm, harry eaton wrote:

> > For example in the GTK version what should Shift-B really do?
>
> The GTK version of pcb needs to be used with a heavy grain of salt at the
> moment.

If the Xaw versions would actually build I probably would have kept using it.
It ran better under Cygwin.

> So much of the code and all of UI changed it introducing a lot of bugs and
> incompatibilities.
>
> One reason I was slow to change the GUI is because I really wanted to
> insist on a keyboard interface that was easily programmed

If you have been following the discussion on gEDA-Dev you may have seen that
I'm trying to make a native version of PCB for Windows based on DJ's upcoming
GUI neutral version.

What I was actually working yesterday was incorporating this KeyBinder code,
for the very reasons you mention:

http://wxcode.sourceforge.net/components/keybinder/

"A generic system to bind one or more keyshortcut to the commands you want
(menu commands or whatever you like). A pre-built panel and a complete system
to view/remove/add/edit command shortcuts is included. Also key profiles are
supported and a complete load/save system based on wxConfig is present.
Integrates with your applications with few modifications and allows the users
to customize all the commands he wants, bypassing the limitation of a single
keybind to each command. Supports Unicode and shared builds."