Re: gEDA-user: connector with wires going across/through connector

Hello Ales,

Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Basically what I want to do is to draw some connectors in parallel.

This is like the backplane on a motherboard, and I would like the schematic to be a direct analogy to the physical layout.

So my first idea was to edit an existing connector and to make a copy of each pin and rotate it 180 degrees so that the "red tip" points in the other direction. So this way I can draw a wire and connect from both the left and right.

Thanks much,
Bert Douglas

Ales Hvezda wrote:
Hi Bert,

[snip]

I would like to make a symbol that can be drawn on the schematic so that =
wires go through/across the symbol.

You should be able to do this. In the past (older version; I don't
remember when I added the concept of pin polarity) you could not.

In new versions, pins have a polarity which is significed by the
red end on the pin. Only the end with the red end will register a connection.
So, just draw your symbol as you normally would making sure that the red ends point outwards.

What is the best way to do this?

Can I put two pins with the same pin number, one facing left and the =
other facing right?  Will this cause problems with DRC?

Here you lost me. Why would you have two pins with the same
pin number ever? Please send me a sample symbol with what you have in mind and that will help in my understanding. Thanks,

							-Ales