Re: gEDA-user: Fink install or binaries for Mac OS X

On 11/22/05, Frank Eory <toaster2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The fastest approach to get it up and running on Mac OS X would be to
> work directly from the binaries.

That may be the fastest way for you, but it means a lot more work for
me. I don't have a farm of Macs here for testing all versions of the
OS and Xcode (donations accepted, though).

> The source downloading and compilation
> is not the most efficient path. Could you upload your binaries that are
> known to work on the geda.seul.org site?

Several problems:

1) 10.3 doesn't have readline, and I don't want to deal with the
fallout from installing readline shared libraries in /usr/local.

2) My binaries are from 10.4

3) Even if my binaries were linked against the system versions of
readline, libz and libbz2 (instead of the Fink versions in /sw), they
wouldn't work for you because 10.3 is missing some of those libraries.

> Once I get it running, I could
> work on the .info files for the binaries and give you the results such
> that other people could benefit.

I don't remember how many people have made the .info files work on
10.3, but it's more than just me. It sounds like something is messing
with your Fink install, and I have run out of suggestions on how to
fix it.

I volunteered to make Fink packages for these tools because Fink
(normally) provides a consistent build environment. Trying to cope
with an unstructured build environment without taking a look around
the machine is not my idea of fun, and I don't have time to look at
everyone's machine when problems arise. Sorry.

--
- Charles Lepple