Re: gEDA-user: furnace controller I/O port again

> You still need to interrupt a processor (with all the cache
> contention implications) at least 100 times (and probably 300
> real-time-response required interrupts, if there is no hardware help
> at all) to read out a temperature.  The second of my implementations
> cuts that to only one.

Same reasoning I'm using r8c's to run the 1wire protocol on my next
furnace board.  Bit-banging it at the moment uses up half of a 400MHz
PC's available CPU time, and that's just enough to poll each zone once
every 15 seconds (temp + humidity, plus checking for button presses).