Re: gEDA-user: firmware and the GPL license

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 20:44 -0500, DJ Delorie wrote:

> The user can do whatever they want.  The GPL places NO RESTRICTIONS on
> use.  However, such a linked program could not be legally shared with
> anyone else.

Ah.. that'd be why I couldn't see any restrictions then ;)

Doesn't this allow a loophole for people to ship code linked against
some non GPL proprietary stub which matches the interface of the GPL
library.. then tell the users to get / replace that stub with the GPL
lib? (Or provide them a shell script which did that?)

(Trick probably being to come up with such a stub in a non-derivative
way of course).

Anyway, perhaps I'm drifting too far off topic here.. I think the
original query was answered.

Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,
Engineering Department,