Re: gEDA-user: Missing the printable docs for gschem

John Doty wrote:
> On Nov 29, 2007, at 8:05 AM, John Griessen wrote:
>
>> Ben Jackson wrote:
>>
>>> I was thinking gschem could use a 'make symbol' wizard for that.
>>> It'd
>>> be nice if you could draw a subcircuit and just have the IO pins turn
>>> into a simple boxsym automatically.  It would make it much easier to
>>> build hierarchical schematics that have a nice, clear toplevel block
>>> diagram as the first sheet.
>>
>> Sure, yes, SOP using Cadence.
>
> OK, same question, different emphasis: how does Cadence know how to
> arrange the pins?

you get a dialog box with a text entry for top, bottom, left, right
side.  The entries come filled in by default with inputs on the left,
outputs on the right.  I typically then cut/paste to which side I want
and set the order.  Then the symbol is created.  Users can set up
default symbol templates too in case there is a standard set of things
you want created.  In the geda world it might be a set of attributes and
their visibility.

It works pretty well as a starting point.

The "create cellview from cellview" thing in cadence can go from symbol
or schematic to schematic, symbol, verilog, verilog-a, etc.  If you're
going from say symbol to verilog-A, you get a text editor with the
module definition line and i/o's declared and an empty body.

-Dan