Re: gEDA-user: gschem, howto prevent generation of .sch~ backup files?

Peter Clifton wrote:
Others save hidden files (e.g. vim's swp file), and make
> sure they are deleted on successful save so we don't end up with hidden
> clutter.

I like using .xxxx.pcb or .xxxx.sch files as saves.
Vim's popup dialogs about what to when opening files are annoying though...
to obviate the need for that, we could have two save files, .xxxx.sch and
.xxx.sch.sav would be saved to on close.  autosave would save to .xxx.sch.sav
only.   That way if you open a file and see that it is not the latest data,
the autosave will not clobber the latest data in .xxxx.sch.  A menu pulldown called
revert wuld revert to .xxxx.sch.

The autosave file would never be one to revert to,
since you don't remember if was autosaved to or not...(in the scenario
when you opened a file, waited around some, then noticed it was not containing
typing just before a crash of some kind [Xorg crashes because of some other
program for instance]).

John G
--
Ecosensory   Austin TX