gEDA-user: Selection/drag behavior

I'm sure this has to be documented somewhere, but I can't figure out
what controls it.

In pcb, I use the left mouse button to select one or more objects, and
to drag them to a new position.

When I first start using pcb these actions (1) draw a visible box around
the things I'm trying to select, and (2) as I'm dragging I see the parts
moving.

At some point while I'm working I lose both the visible selection box
and  the objects do not move while I'm dragging. Once I release the
button the objects  move to the new position, but these helpful
selection/positioning effects are gone.

I can save the file then restart pcb to restore the effects, but that's
not the best solution. How am I changing this behavior, and how can I
turn the effects back on?

--Jim