Re: gEDA-user: More GL stuff to test

On Wed, 2009-11-04 at 14:27 -0600, Bill Gatliff wrote:
> Peter Clifton wrote:
> > More stuff to test in the "local_customisation_no_pours" branch (only).
> >
> > http://www2.eng.cam.ac.uk/~pcjc2/geda/pcb+gl_3d/pcb+gl_3d-7.png
> >
> > Doesn't the 3D make that dialog box look bent?
> >

> It does, but I think that's because the shading/colors used for the
> circuit board are giving misleading cues as to which way it is
> oriented.  Or something.  Even without the dialog, something doesn't
> look quite right...

It's because the projection used is orthographic.. it drives my brain
nuts in certain orientations.

Perspective looks more 3D, but:

1. It means your layers don't line up for editing (should you want to do
that in 3D for some reason).

2. My mouse cursor -figure-out-where-we-are-on-the-board- code is
designed for the orthographic projection case.

> Given any more thought to just letting Blender do this grunt work?
> Could you export the board model in a format that Blender could swallow
> up?  I don't think that would work for interactive development, but for
> dog and pony shows...

Probably a good idea, but not what I've been going for so far.. I'm
after lightning fast interactivity within PCB - the 3D is just an
amusing side-effect. (Until someone provides some 3D component models in
a format I can parse!)

Best wishes,

Peter C.