Re: gEDA-user: Purpose of this list

On Tue, 2009-11-10 at 22:06 +0000, Kai-Martin Knaak wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:14:40 +0100, Stefan Salewski wrote:
>
> >  I think it was
> > shut down some months ago as announced in this list, and on
>
> IIRC, it was not shut down but suffered a change of policy. Mere user
> mortals like you and me are not allowed to post to the list any more.

That is an unfortunate side-effect of an attempt to make geda-dev a
forum which was more "developer friendly". (Where ideas could be
discussed more freely without continual bike-shedding).

The list was never made private - all discussions are public and
archived.

It was not done out of spite to users - rather that we thought we could
create a more productive environment to foster development. Very often,
when seemed most everyone was subscribed to both lists, we could get
endless threads discussing work-flow philosophies (both on geda-dev and
geda-user), which would detract from getting actual code written. Since
these threads were common on both lists, there seemed little point in
keeping both.

I was one of the people keen to see that happen, but I'm not sure we
have reached an optimal solution yet. In effect, it seems to have mostly
killed off the geda-dev list traffic. (Perhaps because most developers
are pretty busy).

I don't speak for Ales (who has the ultimate call), but I'm sure anyone
interested in contributing to the development of gEDA could ask, and
would be re-subscribed to geda-dev.

That could perhaps, (for example), include those users who are tracking
beta versions, or testing git HEAD code and wanting to discuss bugs or
new features. Certainly those working on distribution packaging for gEDA
would "qualify".

I'm not so much concerned _who_ is subscribed to geda-dev, just that its
topics remain development oriented, and constructive.

Best wishes,

Peter C.