Re: gEDA-user: symbol files

On Thu, 2009-11-12 at 16:36 +0000, Kelvin Gardiner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to create some new AVR symbols. Can the footprint section of
> a symbol file have more than one footprint listed. If so how is each
> footprint separated, a tab or comma?

Typically, the gschem -> PCB workflow will look at the "best"
"footprint=..." attribute it finds - as is. That is probably either the
first - or last "footprint" attribute embedded in the schematic for that
component.

If you have "footprint=dip16,so16", the tools will look for a the
"dip16,so16" footprint - which doesn't exist.

I've seen examples where people have added a "footprint2=" attribute,
and it should also be legal just to add multiple "footprint="
attributes.

Both will get promoted into the schematic, and the user needs to delete
the one they aren't using in order to make a definitive choice.

You could make the symbols lighter - by _not_ including a footprint
attribute.

OR..

You could make the symbols heavier - by making one copy of the symbol
for each type of footprint. That is usually the best option if the
pinout changes at all between footprints.

Best wishes,

Peter C.