Re: gEDA-user: STEP Format? [WAS: Re: PCB+GL+3D Packages??]

Peter Clifton wrote:

> I'm coming round to the idea that 3D is more than just eye candy
> if we do it nicely.

yes!

> It helps visualise component placement and layout issues
> far more readily than just looking at flat layers can do.

Even better: It aids the process of enclosing design in a very
practical way. I do this even in the absence of a way to transfer
geometrical data from pcb to 3D CAD. The 3D model below, was not
done for the sake of eye candy, but as part of the front panel
construction:
http://bibo.iqo.uni-
hannover.de/dokuwiki/lib/exe/detail.php?id=eigenbau%3Alasertreiber&media=eigenbau:lasertreiber:frontplatte_lasertreiber.png

> I have also spoken to design professionals who value the ability to emit
> 3D renderings, however rough, as it allows better communication of
> project progress and design ideas to clients, who may not themselves be
> technical. (Think.. your manager??)

Very true.

>> triangle meshes: cylindrical resistors, disc-shaped ceramic capacitors,
>
> My shiny through hole resistor screen-shots had approx 6000 panels,
                                                         ^^^^
Ok, bump up my estimation from the last mail by an order of magnitude ;-)

> and
> yes, it does slow things down if you have lots on screen at once!

That's why I'd prefer to stick with the object approach as long as
possible. And keep the rendering business away from the pcb binary.

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak
Öffentlicher PGP-Schlüssel: