Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL resistor p0rn

Peter Clifton wrote:

>> I'm sure one day we'll be able to export the whole thing to a format
>> which can be used in blender for those times you need super
>> realistic renderings ;)

VRML is already such a format :-)

> I wish I knew blender

This close-up of a laser diode package shows what blender is
very good at -- render shapes as in a super natural way.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Laserdiode_housing.png?uselang=de
The shape was done with varicad and exported to blender as STL.
Note the artifacts on the supposedly smooth surfaces. There are
filters to get rid of these artifacts in the renders image. However,
in this case, the image looks better as it is.

When it comes to 3D construction, mesh formats like STL or VRML
won't help you much, though.

> I am playing
> with writing a VRML importer - which should be able to read files
> exported by Wings32 (like KiCad), but I can't for the life of me
> figure out how to drive Wings32 to create a new model!

I'd strongly prefer to do 3D models with a full fledged 3D CAD
application. Preferably with the CAD app I use for the rest of my
construction work. That's the benefit if pcb would communicate
the full information of the layout to a free 3D CAD app. This app
would shoulder the tedious import/export to the complex formats
of the real 3D CAD world -- IGES, STEP, DWG, ...
Did I mention, that mesh formats are a one way road, when it
comes to construction?
(Please tell me, that I don't need to make that point over and over
again ;-)

---<)kaimartin(>---
--
Kai-Martin Knaak