Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL resistor p0rn

kai-martin knaak wrote:
I am playing
with writing a VRML importer - which should be able to read files
exported by Wings32 (like KiCad), but I can't for the life of me
figure out how to drive Wings32 to create a new model!

I'd strongly prefer to do 3D models with a full fledged 3D CAD
application. Preferably with the CAD app I use for the rest of my construction work. That's the benefit if pcb would communicate the full information of the layout to a free 3D CAD app. This app would shoulder the tedious import/export to the complex formats of the real 3D CAD world -- IGES, STEP, DWG, ... Did I mention, that mesh formats are a one way road, when it
comes to construction?
+1
(Please tell me, that I don't need to make that point over and over again ;-)
I knew that ;-) - no need to convice me. Still if pcb is to display 3D models with OpenGL, a tessellation of the scene is required. Personally, I'd prefer something like the winged-edge data structure of BRL-CAD (not it's UI) to handle intersections of BREPs. Many years ago I started to define something like that myself, but never got enough motivation to
to complete it - still, I can help you (and my own demo ;-) with that.

You might have a look at http://gts.sourceforge.net/ .