Re: gEDA-user: STEP Format? [WAS: Re: PCB+GL+3D Packages??]

Peter Clifton wrote:
I'm coming round to the idea that 3D is more than just eye candy if we
do it nicely. It helps visualise component placement and layout issues
far more readily than just looking at flat layers can do. Your brain may
spot issues it wouldn't otherwise.
One of the things I thought of, is stretching the board in z-direction (make it thicker). I believe that can help see, whether blind and burried vias are really ending at the
intended layers, if they are rendered as (transparent) pipes.

To help save computing time, the layers in 3D can be just flat (in a mode) - no point
in seeing the sidewalls of traces for many uses, e.g. the above one.