Re: gEDA-user: PCB+GL resistor p0rn

On Sat, 2010-11-20 at 03:58 -0600, Vanessa Ezekowitz wrote:

> Whether an external tool would do the job or not, apparently you are
> unaware of the immense quantity of through-hole components in use
> today, right now, in mass-production modern-day devices.  Power
> supplies and audio equipment make excellent examples, and I am not
> talking about wall warts and iPods either.

Coming from a power-electronics background, through hole is still the
norm for me. Gate driver boards, controllers and such are usually SMD
though, but for small volume runs, through hole has huge benefits as you
say.

The board in the image I posted was an interface board for various
sensors on an off-shore marine renewables generation rig. It had a total
production run of 5 units. (Plus 2 more for our lab since the rig sank!)

Using through hole tech meant all the boards were able to be assembled
in-house by existing staff, rather than go out to contract assembly with
a long lead-time.

--
Peter Clifton

Electrical Engineering Division,