Re: gEDA-user: a different approach to 3D modeling

Hi all,

Just my thoughts on this matter:

The COLLADA FAQ says (amongst many other things):

Q: Are COLLADA documents included as part of games?

A: COLLADA is not designed to be used as a final game format.
COLLADA allows 3D content to be created in any 3D package, exported to
COLLADA format and edited with a variety of tools from different vendors.
Once the content is finalized, it is usually processed into whatever format
is most efficient for the game engine and hardware platform being used.

AFAICT, THE COLLADA format can transport 3D-data from A to many Bs.

3D data can either be a set of vertexes or primitives.

It does not solve the "primitives versus vertexes" discussion for us, that
is a decision the pcb dev/user community has to make, or just do both so the
user has a choice.

A pcb exporter (or plugin) will still have to generate this 3D data.

Do you take the blue pill or the red pill, Neo ?

For now I continue with the OpenSCAD route.

When and if this gets to work according to my expectations, as I hope it
will (there are some limitations that need be solved on the OpenSCAD side),
then maybe gEDA can get some leverage in the Makerbot and Reprap
communities.

There seems to a variety of encasings for pcbs made with them plastruders.

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4071

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3944

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3665

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3559