Re: gEDA-user: gEDA and PCB ------

Well 40 layers is the max that this shop has done. They are supporting companies building complex networking routers and such. I talked to a few of their customers last week at a confrence on BGAs that they sponsered. How about if you allow 64 layers. Vias should have a starting layer and a stoping layer. Vias should also have internal pads similar to the external pads. DJ, for you I will ask my contact to send you their current capability matrix so that you have a feal for what is comming up in the next couple of years. As my earlier email said I will find out how this shop expects these drill files to be formated.

Steve Meier

DJ Delorie wrote:

8 layer board which really isn't enough.... time to get PCB to have a reasonable number of layers... yes yes i know it will be a lot of work.

We were just talking about this yesterday. I have some ideas about
implementing it. I think the tricky part is deciding how many layers
to allow, or if it needs to be dynamic, and if so, how do you adjust
the number of layers?

Yes very complex boards can be built with these tools but it isn't easy. Next generation BGA will probably require buiried vias, blind vias and micro vias. Boards of upto 40 layers have been built by the shop I normally use (not designed with geda and pcb).

I know the thing *I* am missing for blind and buried vias is... how do
you specify them in the gerber files?

(oh, and any way to feasibly try it out too ;-)