Re: gEDA-user: gEDA DLL hell

Hi!

Am 28.10.2005 um 23:19 schrieb Karel Kulhavy:

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 07:14:30PM +0200, Mario Klebsch wrote:
Am 28.10.2005 um 16:34 schrieb Karel Kulhavy:
And both Linux and NetBSD I suppose have
/usr/local or /opt.

Wether or not a system does have /usr/local is a decision of the sysop who administers the system. You would be right in stating, that most

This is not true. a) it may be a decision of a standard (LHS),

1. LHS my be a standard for Linux system but it does say nothing about UNIX systems.

 b) it may
a decision of distribution vendor (gentoo, debian etc.). /usr/local is
compulsory in both.

The admin has choosen the distribution, so he did a kind of meta.dicision. nevetheless it is the admin, who did decide.

BTW, /usr/local was choosen for the reason that local stuff should not mess up with the system supplied files in e.g. /usr/bin. So, everything under /usr/local is local stuff. Linux distributions happen to reverse things and today on a lot of systems files under /usr/lcoal are in deed system supplied, but the reason to create /usr/local was to separate local stuff from system supplied stuff.

admins do choose to have a /usr/local.

Then write the procedure so it works on all of them. For example:
"if your system has /usr/local directory, do xxx, otherwise if it
has /opt directory and you can change the $PATH, do yyy, otherwise do
zzz."

A sysop is required to think before starting to type. There is no

OK. gEDA is for sysops only. Sad.

No, UNIX systems require a system administrator.

It requires at least some minimal skills to administer a UNIX system.
This is the reason, why administration is an explicit role.

BTW. in contrats to all marketing bubbling, it also requires immense
skills to administer windows systems.

It's irrelevant what skill administration takes. My friend's problem was
he was unable to install gattrib. My friend's problem was not system
administration issue.

Installing software is an administration issue, may it be on UNIX systems or on other systems. USING software is not an administrative issue.

If I take Orcad or Eagle, I run eagle.exe and Eagle is installed in
the system. If I want to deinstall, I go into Windows program list,
select deinstall Eagle, and it's deinstalled. The same with Orcad.

If you are satisfied with eagle or orcad, why don't you simplyuse one of these programs?

Because they are not free software.

And just because geda is free software, it offers you the freedom to change everything, you do not like. Neither eagle nor orcad offer you this freedom, It is up to you to use your freedom.

73, Mario
- -- Mario Klebsch mario@xxxxxxxxxx
PGP-Key available at http://www.klebsch.de/public.key
Fingerprint DSS: EE7C DBCC D9C8 5DC1 D4DB 1483 30CE 9FB2 A047 9CE0
Diffie-Hellman: D447 4ED6 8A10 2C65 C5E5 8B98 9464 53FF 9382 F518