Re: gEDA-user: database driven component chooser - part II

Bert Timmerman <bert.timmerman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Levente,
>
> Got it working in sofar that I get a list of attributes to set.
>
> Is dbsym to generate symbols already, or is this output to be expected.

When the pinmap field is not NULL yes, it assumes that the symbol is light.
This case it uses the pinmap file to generate the symbol (adds pinnumbers).

When the pinmap field is NULL, the symbol file is just copied to the directory
specified by -o.

This technique is done for compatibility.

The footprint, value, description, etc. fields/attributes should be attached
*after* placement of the symbol to keep it light. The filename of the symbols
are unique. If a generation, or copying overwrites a symbol, there will be no
data loss; and it is sure that the resulting symbol will be identical to the
overwritten.

It would be nice to somehow integrate the code with gschem.

> <snippet>
> ./dbsym -f ../test/dbsymrc -h levente.obudanet.hu -o . -i 2
> can't open config file: ~/dbsymrc: No such file or directory
> can't open config file: ./dbsymrc: No such file or directory
> |ID|category|subcategory|symbol|pinmap|footprint|technology|value|
> value2|value3|type|description|documentation|comment|
> |2|1|2|resistor.sym|NULL|1206.fp|R|10R|5%|0.25W|SMT|10 Ohm resistor|
> http://www.google.com|This is another test|
>
> Select symbol file './resistor.sym'
> cp: cannot stat `./resistor.sym': No such file or directory

In this case, dbsym doesn't find the ./resistor.sym file pointed to by the
-p option, and the symbol field.

> Please set the following attributes:
> symbol  = resistor.sym
> ID      = 2
> footprint       = 1206.fp
> value   = 10R
> description     = 10 Ohm resistor
> documentation   = http://www.google.com
> pinmap  =
> </snippet>

Yes, these should be added after resistor.sym placed on the schematic...
except symbol.

Cheers,

--
Levente